your mail

Peter D Banos pdb1 at columbia.edu
Tue Feb 20 14:38:25 UTC 1996

On Tue, 20 Feb 1996 AmitaSarin at aol.com wrote:

> What is the relnship, if any, between Islamic chronograms and numerical
> values of Devanagiri consonants?  Which came first?  Did they develop
> independantly?  Are chronograms also composed in Hindi?

The Islamic chorongrams are based on a particular alphabetical order,
"abjad," which is very different from that normally used for Arabic
(Alif, ba, ta...) but is close to that used in other Semitic languages
particularly Hebrew (Aleph, beth, gimel, daleth...). In fact I believe it
works almost exactly the way the Hebrew chronographic system does. This
would mean its origins are somewhere in the pre-Islamic Middle East.
I do not know of any Indic system that works the same way; but I've never
looked into the question much and someone on the list probably knows better.

						-Peter D. Banos
						pdb1 at columbia.edu