a bit of help?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Feb 15 15:17:29 UTC 1996

Jonathan,
	Now that I have had a chance to look up the MB on P. 3.2.1, here
are my comments.  I am not sure it dierctly assists with the
interpretation of "yogAcAra", but has a lot of indirectly interesting
implications.  Theoretically, one can have the affix aN by this rule to
derive 'AcAra' in 'yogAcAra' with the agentive meaning:  yogam Acarati
iti yogAcAraH.  However, with such a derivation, by the standard rules of
accents, the word would be accented on the last syllable, i.e. the affix
aN.  Secondly, the word -AcAra thus derived with the affix aN, P.4.1.15
predicts its feminine form with 'I', i.e. yogAcArI', rather than as
'yogAcArA'.  KAtyAyana's vArttika 7 (p. 95) brings up issues related to
both accents and feminine form.  Patanjali's example kalyANAcAra
illustrates the portion -Acari in the vArttika.  KAtyAyana proposes two
things:  with the root A+car, we should have the affix Na, rather than
aN.  Secondly, he proposes that the first member of this compound retains
its original accent, a pattern of behavior similar to a BahuvrIhi.  Why
the affix Na, instead of aN?  With aN, P.4.1.15 predicts a feminine form
in 'I', while with Na, one gets the default feminine form in 'A'.  This
is explained by the MB in line 24: kimartham idam ucyate.
pUrvapadaprakRti- svaratvaM ca vakzyAmi IkAraS ca mA bhUd iti.  The
discussion that follows goes back and forth on whether one can have a
BahuvrIhi in examples like mAMsabhakzaH.  It shows that in some examples
Patanjali is willing to admit the possibility of a BahuvrIhi, but not in
others.  The main point seems to be that with a BahuvrIhi, one can get
optional forms like mAMsakAmaH/mAMsakAmakaH (p. 96, lines 3-4).  The
discussion does not say anything about kalyANAcAraH, and certainly
nothing about yogAcAraH.
	One thing we cannot check is the accent of yogAcAraH in its
actual attestations, because these are all late.  Perhaps what one can
check is the feminine form, if such is attested, and if a form like
yogAcAraka is also used.  The latter especially would support a BahuvrIhi
interpretation.
	The BahuvrIhi interpretation for a late expression is certainly
not out of the question.  In fact, the huge Prakrit
dictionary/encyclopedia AbhidhAnarAjendra on the word 'jogAcAra' suggests
a BahuvrIhi interpretation:  yogena AcAraH yasya:
yoga+A+car+ghaN(palatal).  This affix derives an action noun in Panini,
rather than an agent noun, as with the affixes aN, or KAtyAyana's Na.
	I hope this gives you some food for thought.
	Roth-Boehtlingk's dictionary, however, notes the variant reading
yogAcArya for yogAcAra.  They don't accept it, but you may look into it
as well.
	I am also posting this note on Indology.  Perhaps, someone else
may have some further suggestions.

	All the best,
			Madhav