Analogies to Kabbalah

Srinivasan Pichumani srini at engin.umich.edu
Wed Feb 14 00:19:58 UTC 1996

>>For example, a god being the embodiment of the Veda;
>>the letters of scripture being related to living
>>creatures, deities, or the cosmos as to giving it
>>life, form, definition, body, etc. through their
>>organization or arrangement; the Vedas as a living
>>thing; the letters of the scriptures being the
>>mystical name of a god, etc.

As far as I understand, the various Tantric traditions,
to name one, abound with such concepts... the description
of the Goddess as
                mAtrkArNa svarUpiNI
                a-ka-ca-Ta-ta-pAdi varNe
                ekAkSarI
etc. or using bIjAkSara are examples of this.

>>If anyone can help with general or specific references,
>>it will be much appreciated.

A.Bharati's "The Tantric tradition", Douglas Brooks's
books, "Understanding Mantras" edited by Harvey Alper,
Andre Padoux's "Vac: the concept of the word in selected
Hindu Tantras", may be of help...

-Srini.