Help for Leukemia : Broadcast this please (fwd)

Amardeep Salgia asalgia at students.uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 10 05:20:01 UTC 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 11:32:10 +0800
From: Tushar Shah <tshah at ahimsa.Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Help for Leukemia : Broadcast this please (fwd)

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From asavla at scf.usc.edu Wed Feb  7 10:36:28 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 09:05:05 -0600 (CST)
From: spv at umr.edu

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 17:09:39 -0600 (CST)
From: Ajay Jagannathan <ajagann at tiger.lsu.edu>

Subject:  HELP SAVE A LIFE !! [1] (fwd)

****************
Dear Friends,
 My name is Vrushali Ranadive and I am a 23 year old woman of Indian
background. I am asking for your help in saving my life. Last June
1994, just three weeks after graduating from college, I was diagnosed
 with chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML). Many leukemia patients are
cured with a bone marrow transplant which involves receiving marrow
from a matched donor. I wasunable to find a match within my family so
 I have turned my hopes to the National Marrow Donor Program's (NMDP)
 volunteer donor registry.

In April 1995 a perfect match was located for me through NMDP and I
thought I would have a chance at being cured. Instead my worst fears
came true -the person decided not to proceed with the donation which could save
my life. Withouth a donor I don't have a chance to be cured; but you
could help give me another chance!

There are two things you can do to help me in my quest to live a long
and healthy life. First, we are trying to locate this "lost" donor and
the best way to do that is to widely publicize my situation in the
hope that the person will hear my story and reconsider. Because NMDP
follows certain confidentiality rules, we are unable to know the name
of this donor and establish direct contact. However, we may have a
chance at reaching the donor or someone who knows him/her through this
appeal. Please forward this information and/or home page address to
your relatives and Indian friends across the country.

Second, you can help me and all other Indians looking for marrow
donors by getting more Indians (or for that matter all South Asians)
to join the NMDP registry of volunteers. This includes getting
yourself typed and joining the registry, as well as holding drives
through your community, religious/cultural organization, or college
 to get more Indians in the NMDP registry. The best chances for
finding a match are within the same ethnic community and presently
there are so few Indians in the registry that we are having a
difficult time finding matches. Currently there are more than 10
Indians in the US looking for matches, none of whom are having any
luck. Adding more people to the registry will improve our chances of
finding a donor, and may give us the life-saving miracle match we need.

I encourage you to become involved in this cause which is not only
important to me, but to the South Asian community at large. It is up
to everyone to come together and help one another. Remember, through
your efforts you may be able to accomplish the most extraordinary
thing -- help save someone's life!

Please do not hesitate to call me at home in the evenings at
(212)697-2928 or send me email at ranadive at usa.pipeline.com for more information
regarding what you can do to help, or for information about the NMDP
registry.  More information regarding the procedure, donor centers or upcoming
drives can be found on the World-Wide Web at http://greenmfg.me.berkeley.edu/marrow/

THE GIFT YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GIVE IS THE GREATEST GIFT OF ALL -- THE GIFT OF LIFE!

Thank you,
Vrushali.

EMAIL: ranadive at usa.pipeline.com
WWW  : http://greenmfg.me.berkeley.edu/marrow/