east india company seal

witzel at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU witzel at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Feb 9 03:42:49 UTC 1996

Has it been forgotten that the British merchants lived and dressed like
Indians and used Persian (even Sanskrit) in their dealings until the
1830's?

The Calcutta bishop (Heber I think) could spit hail and brimstone every
Sunday, they changed their ways only with the arrival of the steamship,
and consequently .... British wives in larger numbers.....

> From Peter at pwyz.RHEIN.DE 08 1996 Feb +0100 22:24:00
Date: 08 Feb 1996 22:24:00 +0100
From: Peter at pwyz.RHEIN.DE (Peter Wyzlic)
Subject: Not again "good times" (was: WARNING)

Hello to all,

In article <960208120235_100734.2313_EHV99-1 at CompuServe.COM>
H.-G. Tuerstig wrote about "WARNING":

>   It is with great concern that I forward this message  to
>   you. Good luck! Hans-Georg Tuerstig
>>  SUBJECT:   VIRUSES--IMPORTANT  PLEASE  READ  IMMEDIATELY
>>  [lots of stuff on Good Times virus deleted]

Don't take the alleged e-mail virus "good times"  for  real.
It is a myth of the internet or -- should I say -- an  urban
legend. Any mail containing warning(s) against it is a  sort
of chain letter and belongs to the category called "spam".

I cite Patrick Crispen's definition:

    There are two types of "spams": deliberate  spams  which
    are mostly advertisements that are posted  to  thousands
    of LISTSERV lists and Usenet newsgroups, and inadvertent
    spams which are e-mail letters that sound true and which
    readers decide to forward to all of their friends.

    The inadvertent spams are the hardest to  spot,  because
    they seem to be legitimate.  Here are some of  the  most
    prevalent inadvertent spams on the Net today:

o   THE BRAIN TUMOR BOY [... stuff deleted]
o   THE GOOD TIMES VIRUS
MYTH:   E-mail letters that have the words "GOOD TIMES"
        in their subject lines actually contain viruses.
TRUTH:  Its a lie (but you should still never launch a
        program or file (especially a Microsoft  Word  file)
        that you receive from anyone without first  checking
        that  program  or  file  with  an  up-to-date  virus
        checker).
o   THE $250 COOKIE RECIPE [...]
o   MAKE.MONEY.FAST [...]

You may find more general information on "spam" in Patrick's
Internet Roadmap lesson, write to LISTSERV at UA1VM.UA.EDU with
the command:

     GET MAP09 LESSON F=3DMAIL

in the body of your e-mail letter. Probably the best way  to
deal with the "good times" is to put it in your killfile.

All the best
Peter Wyzlic