Holi Discussion Appreciation

John Gardner jgardner at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Thu Feb 8 20:06:08 UTC 1996

re. portion of message below

for all concerned-- suggest reading W. Halbfass' "India and Europe: and
Essay in understanding."

further, to discuss "paradigms of studty" in the first place is a term
already-weighted with european values.  those of us who fight within the
western academic culture to awaken the minds of those scholars before us
to their arrogance seek all reasonable means of expression at our
disposal.  we often feel like the jelly in a peanutbutter and jelly
sandwich: the teeth of our traditions squeeze down from one side, the
teeth of individuals in other traditions who don't liek our efforts to
find new terms squeeze from the other and we just get squirted out the
sides and dribbled down the shirt of of the lumbering behemoth of
institutionalized cultural insensitivity.

i truly hope that peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches were not also a part
of some missionary's zealous persecution of another culture.  i would
hate to perpetuate the image.

those of us who are trying to find new paradigms could benefit from
gentle and responsible criticism from all interested parties-- not the
all-too-easy knee-jerk (and, ironically, a western one) of
tar-and-feathering with slanderous terminology like racism.

frankly, much of the terminology regarding western scholars is equally
racist in its generalizations and its about time everybody got a grip on
the fundamental fact that racism lies in USAGE of a word far more than it
does in the semantic isolation of the term itself.  those angered by the
word chaotic have granted that the word can have unweighted meaning in
other areas, but they take it upon themselves to dominate the language
field of discussion by demanding that, in their relam of expression, its
unacceptable.

frankly, accusations of racism are unacceptable in mine.  unless there is
a double-standard at work here, i think its about time both terms be laid
to rest if the judgemental myopia cannot be.

jrg