Holi Discussion Appreciation

jdwhite at unccvm.uncc.edu jdwhite at unccvm.uncc.edu
Mon Feb 5 17:51:24 UTC 1996

I hardly realized that such an innocuous request for a visual view of Holi
would precipitate such vituperative comments from
Rajagopalanm at Harpo.TNState.edu.   As a frequent visitor to India over the
past twenty-five years and one who enjoys many friendships there, I am
amazed that he/she latched on my last name with such unpleasant results.  I
also regret that he/she chose to share his/her lack of kindness with members
of the list.  Since she/he too lives in the southern U. S., surely by this
time she/he has learned a much more kindly way of easing the harsh blows of
language, e.g., by following one's criticism with the phrase "Bless his/her
heart"  as in "This person, unfortunately, is unable to understand the
discursive and objective language of the academic study of religion, bless
his/her heart."

On the other hand, I appreciate that his/her comments did create some
excellent discussion on the Holi festival, in which I have had the pleasure
of participating and of which I have been a sometimes surprised and
"chaotic" subject in India--with a resulting sense of joy and understanding
and appreciation.  Many thanks to colleagues B. Narahari Rao, Gene Thursby,
Yvette Rosser and William Harman and Fred Smith(for the film suggestion)!