Hindi/Urdu teaching

l.m.fosse at easteur-orient.uio.no l.m.fosse at easteur-orient.uio.no
Sun Feb 4 12:17:24 UTC 1996

Dear Colleague:

Thank you for your recent response to our request about the teaching of
Hindi and Urdu at your university, or at other universities in your
country.

I am pleased to say that we received quick and detailed replies to our
query from nearly all the universities we had time to ask.  (In only four
and a half days, we did not have time to contact all the institutions in
which Hindi and/or Urdu are taught, or to contact every country; moreover,
in a few locations, people were still away on winter holidays.)

With your help, we compiled a list of over 35 universities in Europe, the
U.S.A., Canada and Australia, in which there is instruction in Hindi and/or
Urdu.  We found:

        42 regular positions in Hindi
        17 regular positions in Urdu
        12 combined Hindi-Urdu positions
        690 students of Hindi
        162 students of Urdu

We are grateful for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse               Ruth Schmidt

Lars Martin Fosse
Research Fellow
Department of East European
and Oriental Studies