H-ASIA: Q. Abortifacients in Kerala (fwd)

Frank Conlon conlon at u.washington.edu
Sat Dec 28 18:51:02 UTC 1996

Colleagues--may I post this query on this list also on behalf of Professor
Schiebinger?  Replies could be to list or to Professor Schiebinger
<lls10 at psu.edu>.

Thank you

Frank Conlon

                                H-ASIA
                           December 28, 1996

Query on abortifacients in Kerala
From: Londa Schiebinger <lls10 at psu.edu>

I am currently working on the history herbal abortifacients.  One
that  interests me is the "settimandaram" (17th century: "tsjetti-
mandaru") known in Malabar.  Can a speaker of Malayalam kindly provide me
with a literal translation of this term?  It is something "peacock."
Thank you.

        Also, if there are any books or articles on anti-fertility
(or fertility) agents used in any part of India in the 17th or 18th
centuries, I  would be most grateful to know about them.  Thank you.
Londa Schiebinger

Londa Schiebinger
Professor of History of Science and Women's Studies
Department of History                Tel.:   814-863-7303
Pennsylvania State University        Fax:    814-863-7840
University Park, PA 16802            E-Mail: LLS10 at psu.edu
USA
-------
Ed. note: Please reply directly to Professor Schiebinger.    F.F.C.