New Message

Peter J. Claus pclaus at haywire.csuhayward.edu
Fri Dec 20 01:10:54 UTC 1996

Date: December 19, 1996

Indology List
indology at Liverpool.ac.uk

Dear Members,

Can anyone suggest references (in English) on water in
Indian culture?  I am particularly interested in
environmental concepts such as finding sources of water
(water dosing), conceptions of subsurface water
(Patalaloka; Nagas and water; the idea that all rivers
and underground water are linked to the Ganges)
concepts of water and purity, means of purifying water,
both ritually and in terms of sanitation, and myths
related to all of the above.

It is that time of year which the university
administration (where DO we get these people??) calls
"vacation" and so closes the university library!

Peter J. Claus
fax: (510) 704-9636
pclaus at csuhayward.edu