file corruption and 7 bit

Das Devaraj das at netcom.com
Tue Dec 17 19:14:09 UTC 1996

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Claude Setzer wrote:

> I am very sorry that I personally do not have a large amount of time to devote
> to this, but something I think would be very useful would be to compile a
> detailed list of compatible and non-compatible means of transferring 8 bit
> character/glyph sets over INTERNET.

This discussion is getting pretty technical, but don't know where people
are going with this.  What follows are technical details and not
Indology.  So feel free to skip this message.

Anything (including binary) can be transferred over the internet without
any problems.  Basically, what is needed is an e-mail program which is not
brain-dead at the sending/receiving end.  Pegasus Mail (a free windows
program is good).  PINE also does a pretty good job.  Even the old
standby Eudora Light (which is free I believe) will do a credible job.

> This could, perhaps be hosted by the Indology Web site. Based on this I think
> we might be able to arrange for all or most of the members of  Indology to
> start using this more complete system.

Lot of mailing lists do not allow attachments.  If the current list
server can handle MIME complaint e-mails, nothing special needs to be
done.

> I have absolutely no argument with anything you said, but others seem to think
> that it is possible to transfer 8 bit character sets even when a 7 bit
> encoding scheme is used.

The 7 bits has to do more with the communication links than the computer
proper.  Computer is always 8 bits or 16 bits etc.

> I have found that Microsoft's (free) INTERNET mail
> software has several methods of encoding 8 bit character sets.

Try to get the programs mentioned above, or even Netscape.

> My experiments
> seem to favor the UUencode method rather than the MIME for transfer of high
> characters. (This is the label Microsoft gives it. Their encoding labeled MIME
> seems to work less easily. Uuencode gives actual high characters, base 64
> gives gibberish, Quoted gives an = sign followed by the character number on my
> email receiver (the one that eliminates the last bit of character map when
> sending). But perhaps some simple software would reinterpret the = and
> character to give the proper glyph.)

UUencode/MIME etc are not Microsoft labels.  UUencode has been with with
Unix, as far as I can remember (latest version on my machine is dated
1987).  MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) originally started
with Bellcore I believe in 1991.  As a general note, mail systems should
not be asking people to choose encoding systems but act transparently.

If somebody really wants to get into doing something exotic with mail
system, they should read RFC822 for basic e-mail and RFC2045, RCF2046,
RFC2047, RFC2048 and RFC2049 for MIME.

The best bet to finding working software on Internet - whether mail or
for other purposes - is to check whether the software is RFC complaint.
If the vendor says, they use "proprietary"  software which is "better"
than the standard or some other line like that, say a polite "Thanks, but
No-Thanks" and don't touch it with a ten foot pole.  Of course, if you
decide to use it inspite of the warning. learn to live with the
consequences.

Das
Interested in Vegetarianism?             Vegetarian Restaurant Trek
Web    http://www.VegInfo.com                712 Bancroft Road #320
e-mail info at VegInfo.com (subject Help)       Walnut Creek, CA 94598
Interactive Voice/fax Response  (510) 256-8420                  USA