Animal evidence (was Re: Indigenous Aryanism)

Narayan S. Raja raja at galileo.IFA.Hawaii.Edu
Mon Dec 16 21:06:46 UTC 1996

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

[...]

> For some time the Indus dolphin was consdered a separate species
> (Platanista indi), but is now considered conspecific with P.  gangetica.

[...]

Hmmm... this raises an issue
strangely similar to that regarding
the "Proto-Indo-European homeland".

The Indus and the Gangetic river
systems are not connected by water
(except thru the sea -- where, we gather,
the freshwater dolphins do not venture).
So how come an identical species of marine
mammal exists in both these rivers?

I'd be inclined to vote for a Proto-Indo-Cetacean
homeland in the high Himalayas, where both
these river systems have their origins.
Presumably, the early Proto-Indo-Cetaceans found
no difficulty slithering over the slippery
glaciers from the headwaters of the Indus to
those of the Ganges (and vice versa).  They
may have adapted horse-drawn chariots to their
own porpoises, or, with their knowledge of iron,
forged skis or snowshoes.

Numerous Seals (another aquatic mammal!) have been
found in the ruins of Harappa and Mohenjo Daro.
I am confident that further excavations will
yield Dolphins as well.

These dolphins eat fish and emit curious whistling
and clicking noises -- a clear link to the
Proto-Dravidians, whose descendants have retained
these annoying traits to the present day.

The only weakness in the case for a Himalayan
Proto-Indo-Cetacean homeland is the fact that
these dolphins are blind.  This, of course,
hints at an origin in Darkest Africa.

Regards,

Narayan Sriranga Raja.
             /