Official State Languages query

Peter J. Claus pclaus at haywire.csuhayward.edu
Tue Aug 20 14:56:45 UTC 1996

While there is perhaps no law prohibiting having a school to teach any
particular language, the question is rather what the medium of
instruction is.  I believe that several sates have, in fact, placed
restrictions on even private schools teaching in English and other
language (eg. Urdu; Marathi in Karnataka, etc.) mediums. But possibly
this has only to do with government recognition -- which is required in
order to get the government to pay the teachers' salaries.  I am not
clear on the details, but my point is that the examples cited evade the
major political issues concerned.