Official State Languages query

gail at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu gail at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 20 04:33:13 UTC 1996

No, I'm pretty sure I got that right. I dont know what the technical
definition of national language is,  but a simple layman's definition that I
think describes the role of the Indian national languages is: one that
works as a lingua franca for the country as a whole. The Indian official
languages are used to a greater extent in specific states rather than
throughout the country.

Gail Coelho