how to reference list discussions

Axel Michaels michaels at relwi.unibe.ch
Wed Aug 7 08:41:09 UTC 1996

Madhav Deshpande wrote:

>        Communications on Indology or a similar network are scholarly,
>but casual, and not to be treated as anyone's "considered final opinions"
>on a given topic.  Therefore, there is a great danger of citations from
>e-mail messages leading to misrepresentation.  Minimally, I would suggest
>that the author of a message needs to be explicitly asked for his/her
>permission for a specific quote, and be given an opporunity to review
>that quote.
>        Madhav Deshpande

I basically agree with this point. However, e-mails in a discussion
group are not private or personal communications. If one has to be aware
that one might be quoted, unneccessary messages could perhaps decrease. A
solution could be that one indicates in an e-mail, if one does not want to
be quoted.

A. Michaels

Prof.Dr. Axel Michaels
Universit{t Bern
Institut f}r Religionswissenschaft
Lerchenweg 36
CH-3000 Bern 9
Tel.: (0041)(0)31 631 80 62, Fax.: (0041)(0)31 631 35 51