After the dust settles . . .

sohum at ms.uky.edu sohum at ms.uky.edu
Fri Aug 2 19:49:53 UTC 1996

Dear John,

You asked:
||After the many postings, updatings, and format revisions, where best did
||Charles Wikner's Sanskrit Course wind up?  THere were several FTP's
||suggested, as well as URL's-- I was hoping to find the 8 1/2 x 11" paper
||size format.

Well, I did download and print it. These are about 145 pages, though.
Do you really want a copy?
You can have the file from me, if you feel like downloading it. let me
know. I do not feel like printing the file again - it took a long time
and I had to fight with the cartridge (it was low on ink). I could
have a xerox made in a commercial place and mail it!

P.S. I had some more comments about your site:

BTW, I got the message that the site http://vedavid.org/rvb.html
does not exist (could not be found)!

Also,  the top title seems to be wrong, it reads:
Welcome to Vedvid ##namaani##
                        ^^^
You probably mean ##namaami##

OR is this some obscure Vedic form and my face is about to become
red..?

More corrections:
In rv.html : it reads ##R^igveda sa\m+hita## I find the \m+ or the
Vedic chandrabindu unusual, but more importantly it should be
##saMhitaa##.

About the Kashi font:
The word ##aatman.h## appears as ##tman.h##.
The word ##kratu## uses an unusual form of the ##rakaara##, besides,
it is misplaced - shifted to the right, when done properly, the top of
the angle should be at the foot of the letter ##ka##. The letter
##ha## in ##brahman.h## is missing its left lower curve.

The letters also don't appear aligned properly, but that may be an
html problem. I think, you should use something as nice as ITRANS-TeX,
or use Madhav's madhushree font - it is WYSIWIG and beautiful!

If you give me the list, I can easily make the ps files of these few
words! But really, you should get the full implementation of ITRANS.

As a poor-man's ITRANS, you can try this utility of Atul, whereby you
send an ips or itx file and you get a postscript file back in mail!

--
|Avinash Sathaye Phone:(606)277-0130(Home), (606)257-8832(Office) |
And now, the next thought is from our CPU ...

We don't know who discovered water, but we're certain it wasn't a
fish.