kala, anadi ananta, fellowship to India

purushottama bilimoria pbilmo at deakin.edu.au
Sat Apr 27 00:43:27 UTC 1996

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Jon Skarpeid wrote:

> 1.
> Which of the philosophical systems of Indian(hindu) philosophy is deepest
> concerned with the phenomenom of kala, e.g. beginning and ending and
> non-beginning and non-ending(anadi((samsara)) and ananta(samsara), and I
> would also add nitya vastu)?

Try mImAm.sA and Buddhist thought or dialectical critiques of Hindu notions>
> 2.
> Though i have read A.Balslevs "Time in indian philosophy", I'm still
> woundering.
> Is there any other books/articles You would suggest?
Balslev has also edited a book on time with J n Mohanty (E J Brill, early
1990s) which has some good discussions; Hari Shankar Prasad has an edit
ed volume on time in Buddhism, from Indian Books Centre/Satguru
Publications, Delhi, 1993 (?).>

> 3.
> I have also received a fellowship to India, and I wonder where's the pest
> place, including library with english books, to undergo a study of
> Indian(hindu) philosopy.
>
> "pest place" (sic) is everywhere I suppose, as philosophy in India is
in such sad disarray. However, there are some good people around and one
of two resourceful institutes; call in at the Indian Ciuncil for
Philosophical Research (see Dr Ashok Vora), 4th floor, Rajendra Bhavan, Deen
Dayal Upadhyay Marg, New Delhi; and go see two of the doyens of Indian
philosophy in India, Sijabijan Bhattacharyya in Calcutta (via Dept of
Philosophy, Calcutta University), and Daya Krishna in Jaipur (lives at
9 Campus Residence, Jaipur University, Jaipur).

Best wishes