Query: materials for refutation of 'sabdanityatva

LGoehler at aol.com LGoehler at aol.com
Mon Apr 22 22:13:38 UTC 1996

Dear Ms Kellner

  it may be possible that the discussion of ZabdanityatA was not continued at
all after KumArila. Himself he considered the topic of utmost importance. But
he made clear that the controversy was about different things: The
:NaiyAyika's considered zabda as sound. But in :MImAMsA it meant quite a
another thing. In that sense a refutation of zabdanityatA would hardly make
any sense.  A good representation of this is still Emil Abegg: Die Lehre von
der Ewigkeit des Wortes bei Kumarila. In: Antidoron Festschrift fuer Jacob
Wackernagel. Goettingen 1923
  If you should come across later NyAya texts that discuss this I will be
interested to get to know them viz. to read your article on that topic.

Lars Goehler