Query: materials for refutation of 'sabdanityatva

Yasuhiro Okazaki kappa-y at sh0.po.iijnet.or.jp
Fri Apr 19 14:54:12 UTC 1996

Ms. Kellner
I read your message
In message <199604161736.CAA09007 at ue.ipc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp>  writes:
> I am looking for articles (or even books) on the Naiyaayikas' refutation of
> the
> Miimaa.msaa's doctrine of the eternality of sound  ('sabdanityatva),
> especially insofar as it is connected with ideas of anityatva as
> praagabhaava/pradhva.msaabhaava.

If the material that you are aware of is Nyaaya-Vaarttika ad NS 2-2-12,
I am also intersted in that discussion. But I don't know the articles that
mainly discussed about this material. But for the matter of fact, some articles
and books slightly pointed out that discussion. For example, Prof. Thakur's
"Uddyotakara as a VaizeSika" 1949 pointed out that praag-abhaava and pradvaMsa-
abhaava is discussed in NV in the reference to ontology. And Randle's "Indian
Logic in Early Schools" also pointed out in the reference to the category of non
existence. They are brief notes and not useful for your study.
Especially, the doctrine that non-eternal is praag-abhaava and pradvaMsa-abhaava
is introduced as eke's doctrine. I wonder who states such a doctorine.
If you will write new article about it, I am expecting your article.

Yasuhiro Okazaki

Yasuhiro Okazaki
Chiyoda-High-School
Arima 600-1, Chiyoda-cho, Yamagata-gun