upaadhmaaniiya and jihvaamuuliiya

thayashi at doshisha.ac.jp thayashi at doshisha.ac.jp
Wed Sep 20 01:21:47 UTC 1995

At  5:52 PM 95.9.19 +0100, Jayandra Soni wrote:
>It might be interesting to note in this context what Johannes Hertel says
>in his Einleitung to his Tantraakhyaayika, 1910, p. XXIV § 2. Schreibung
>und Satzzeichen (Spelling and Punctuation) under para. 1 b.: "Zischlaut,
>Upaadhmaaniiya und Jihvaamuuliiya verwende ich mit den Handschriften statt
>des im eigentlichen Indien ueblichen Visarga" (I am using the sibilants u´s
>and j´s as the manuscripts do instead of the usual visarga in India
>itself). The context is the Kashmiri recensions that he used.
>
>Jay Soni
>soni at mailer.uni-marburg.de

As you may be well aware, the upadhmaaniiya and the jihvaamuuliiya are used
in the so-called Bakhshaalii Manuscript as well.  It is a mathematical text
written in the older type of Zaaradaa script.  See:
G. R. Kaye, _The Bakhshaalii Manuscript: A Study in Medieval Mathematics_
Archaeological Survey of India, New Imperial Series 43.  Vol. 1, Calcutta
1927.  Vol. 2, Delhi 1933.  Reprinted, New Delhi: Cosmo Publication 1981.
T. Hayashi, _The Bakhshaalii Manuscript: An Ancient Indian Mathematical
Treatise_  Groningen Oriental Studies 11.  Groningen: Egbert Forsten 1995.

Hayashi