On Paatri

Pratap Kumar kumar at pixie.udw.ac.za
Tue Sep 19 11:21:06 UTC 1995

Dear Peter Claus:

I have a feeling it comes from the loan word Padre which in Andhra and
Karnataka is used, though mainly in the Christian context, to mean
priest.  Mangalore area has had a long contact with the western world due
to its coastal area.  Many Portugese and Greek ships traded on that
coast.  I remember reading a letter published in the Indian Express in
Bangalore some time in 77 or 78.  The letter was written in Greek script but
the language was Tulu.  When I read out the letter to a local librarian
who spoke Tulu she could understand the language.  I cant remember the
details now but it had to do with a Greek father writing to his wife
and son in Tulu.  In the course of a long contact with the western world
from the west coast of India many loan wordrs became part of Indian
vernaculars.  So my hunch is Padre is one such word and it was perhaps so
commonly used that the locals appropriated beyond its initial Christian
context.  This is only my hunch but serious study needs to be done and I
hope others would throw some light on this.

On Puja

The word puja is mainly used in the Agama texts and in the context of
berapuja (image worship) located in the temples.  Most Paancaratra and
quite a few Vaikhanasa Agamas originated in the South and the word is
most commonly used in most of these texts in the context of worship. I
have not yet checked the etymological connections but it is most likely
a Dravidian word.  The Tamil word Puusaali (Sk.puujaari) might indicate
its Dravidian origins. It is most common for South Indian Hindus to use
the word Puja whereas most North Indian Hindus use the word Havan.  The
word puuja seems more at home in South Indian vernaculars than their
counterparts in the North. These are just a few thoughts.

Good luck

Pratap Kumar
Department of Indian Philosophy
University of Durban-Westville