New Message.

Asko H S Parpola aparpola at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Sep 19 04:24:53 UTC 1995

On Tue, 19 Sep 1995, Peter Claus wrote:

> Date: September 18, 1995
>
> Indology List
> indology at Liverpool.ac.uk
>
> Dear Members
>
> In the Tulu-speaking area of coastal Karnataka the term paatri is
> used in reference to non-brahman 'priests'. The term puujaari is
> also used in reference to non-brahman 'priests' and the
> distinction is often that the paatri, in addition to performing
> rituals, serves as a possession vehicle for deities.
>
> I am interested in opinions you might have as to the derivation
> of the term paatri (which the Manner Tulu-English dictionary
> gives as paatiri).  There seems to me to be several possible
> leads with cognates in other languages.
>
> 1) (Sanskrit?) paatre (paatra): a vessel, a drinking vessel
> 2) (Sanskrit) paati (as in paati-vrata): having to do with being
> chaste, worthy (paatrata)
> 3) (Telugu) paatara (or something like that): falling, dancing
> about, frenzied.
>
> Any of these could fit the case, it seems to me.
>

> Can anyone give me the latest thought on the derivation of the
> word puuja?  Is it from a Dravidian or Indo-European?  Related to
> what root concepts?
>

> Peter J. Claus
> pclaus at csuhayward.edu

As to the first part ofthe query, I think the answer is Sanskrit pAtra
'drinking vessel, vessel in general', for it also means 'a receptacle, a
recipient or a person in whom any quality is contained: a fit or
competent or worthy person oor man, a person or man worthy to receive
gifts; fit for; a recipient or subject also of curses, blame, etc.' and
'an actor, dramatis persona'. These meanings are also found in Kannada
(the above was cited from Kittel's Kannada-English dict.), Tamil
(pAttiram), etc. ---

Asko Parpola  (E-mail Asko.Parpola at Helsinki.Fi)
Department of Asian and African Studies, Univ. of Helsinki