WIN's Entrepreneurial Initiative -- An Invitation

Worldwide Indian Network win at neu.edu
Fri Oct 20 20:18:52 UTC 1995

	   This is an invitation from the Worldwide Indian Network (WIN)
	to all Indians to explore with us the possibility of developing
	effective and successful businesses.  Our goal is to lay the
	foundation of an organization within WIN that will facilitate
	communication and collaboration among people of varying skills
	and resources.  We intend to foster an entrepreneurial spirit
	among participants leading to the formation of new business
	enterprises.

	   During the past half century, Indian politicians have talked
	themselves into oblivion.  Nevertheless, in each election they
	continue to get mandates from the people to lead the country in
	the same direction.  Meanwhile, Japanese workers have built an
	industrial marvel from a heap of ashes.  Today, Japanese
	productivity is 12 times that of India, and its per capita gross
	national product (GNP) is 105 times greater.

	   Following Japan's example would be a good way for India to
	industrialize herself.  We have the main ingredient -- India has
	the second largest reservoir of trained manpower in the world
	(behind the United States).  What we seem to lack is an
	entrepreneurial tradition which enables us to take risks, and a
	spirit of cooperation which will make teamwork possible.

	   Henry Ford is the idol of many businessmen; 66 million people
	around the world drive Ford cars every day.  Conrad Hilton is
	another idol of many businessmen; 110 thousand people around the
	world sleep in Hilton Hotels each night.  What we do not know is
	how many Fords and how many Hiltons failed to realize their
	ambitions.  Statistics show that 6.0% of start-ups in the United
	States fail in the first two years.  And only 62.4% of new
	businesses are still in existence ten years later.  We
	definitely don't want to fall into the wrong side of that
	statistic.

	   To this end, we need an organization that will bring together
	individuals with complementary skills and a common interest in
	establishing businesses.  Unless one has the right combination
	of technical and managerial skills along with a sufficient
	amount of money, the odds are against successfully establishing
	a solo business.  If one has technical and managerial skills but
	lacks financial resources, one will need an investor to support
	any potential venture.  At the same time, investors and venture
	capitalists need to draw upon people with technical and
	managerial skills.

	   In addition to the satisfaction we entrepreneurs would
	achieve for ourselves in establishing businesses, we would also
	contribute something to our country.  The formation of
	businesses creates jobs; in turn, the creation of jobs fuels
	economic growth and prosperity.  A healthy economy can relieve
	the misery and anguish of people by providing them with decent
	jobs and can enable them to prosper by offering affordable goods
	and services.

	   Productivity -- efficiency or output per person -- will
	definitely take an upward turn once we form businesses.  First,
	when a person owns his own business, he will be completely
	committed to its success: he will have a heightened sense of
	responsibility, he will allow himself no excuses.  Moreover, a
	creative person, when working for someone else, is not always
	free to explore his own sense of creativity.  As a business
	owner, that same person is free to decide the best way to
	accomplish his objectives.  He will then act with creativity,
	good judgment, and with full awareness that the success of his
	business depends primarily on his efforts.

	   Consumers have an enormous amount to gain if productivity
	improves.  Efficient production leads to better goods at lower
	prices, and lower prices mean people can have more: more food,
	more clothes, more leisure, more variety, more of everything
	money can buy.

	   Each time the Government of India has devalued the currency,
	the leaders(?) have come up with a very persuasive argument for
	the illiterate masses: "Exports will improve substantially,"
	they claim.  But the facts prove otherwise.  From 1979 to 1993
	the rupee has lost three-quarter of its value -- it has
	depreciated from Rs 8.076 to Rs 31.364 to a dollar.  During this
	period the cumulative current account deficit of India amounts
	to $64.11 billion.  In the same fifteen years, the yen has
	doubled in value -- it has appreciated from Y219.140 to Y111.198
	to a dollar.  Japan's cumulative current account surplus for
	this period amounts to $764.47 billion.  What the demagogues in
	India fail to realize -- or lack the courage to face -- is that
	the key to improved economic conditions is PRODUCTIVITY.  Only
	when productivity increases, do employment, incomes, and exports
	rise.  Productivity growth is the engine that drives the long-
	run improvement of living standards.

	   Two kinds of investors -- those who invest their skills and
	labor, and those who invest their money -- will compose this
	organization.  Hopefully, each participant will contribute both
	kinds of investments.

	   Those who invest their skills and labor will benefit in many
	ways.  First, they will eliminate the middleman -- the employer
	-- and receive the total benefits of their labor.  If the
	employer pays an employee one dollar he does so only if he makes
	at least two dollars out of the employee.  Moreover, because the
	entrepreneurs will be their own bosses, they will derive greater
	personal satisfaction from their work, and they will have
	control over their own destiny.

	   The investors of money will also benefit in several ways.
	They will receive a higher return on their savings.  If a bank
	pays 5% interest, it is certainly making at least that amount
	for itself.  By eliminating the middleman -- the bank -- and
	investing directly in businesses, the investors receive the full
	benefit of their savings.  Furthermore, they will own a portion
	of a business, rather than simply giving money over to a bank
	for the bank to invest.  Thus the investors will have direct
	control over their money.

	   Finally, the channeling of funds from individuals who have
	savings to others with productive investment opportunities will
	be a tremendous boost for the economy and to the parties
	involved in the exchange.  Each investor will have the great
	satisfaction of knowing he is promoting the economic success of
	India.

	   If you are willing to help your fellow Indians in forming
	businesses, please send an e-mail to win at neu.edu.  Use the word
	BUSINESS in the subject line, and your e-mail address (in small
	letters only), home zip code, full name and telephone number(s)
	in the body using the following format:

	bhalder at lynx.neu.edu : 02128 : Mr Biswanath Halder H617-567-0667