Is CSX the best solution?

DR.S.KALYANARAMAN MDSAAA48 at giasmd01.vsnl.net.in
Fri Oct 20 09:22:46 UTC 1995

On Thu, 19 Oct 1995, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

> DR.S.KALYANARAMAN said:
>
> The point is to be able to do scholarly work in transliteration, and
> also to have a standard for text exchange and archiving.  The CSX
> standard is *not* primarily aimed at text representation, although it
> can function in that capacity too, of course.
ascii has a restricted range: 91 keys; ANSI doubles it. I suppose the
Truetype fonts e.g. Times Roman based on ANSI set can also provide
for the tranliteration and text exchange functions.

> I don't understand.  There is no ANSI definition for South Asian scripts.

The CD ROM I had referred to provides an ANSI definition for the glyphs
required to represent South asian scripts. For example, the diacritical
needed for 'r' in Sanskrit required a particular glyph to be ligatured to
'T' and anoter glyph to be ligatured to, say, 's' preceding. Each of these
glyphs gets assigned an ANSI number from 32 (space) to 255. Thus, ANSI
enables the depiction of glyphs needed to calligraphic elegance.

Regards. Dr. S. Kalyanaraman.