Hinduism and Buddhism/Jainism

mhcrxlc at dir.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk mhcrxlc at dir.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk
Sun Oct 8 08:17:03 UTC 1995

Anshuman Pandey writes:

>It seems that strains of jainism and buddhism were prevalent, including
>mentions of tirthankars and boddhisatvas, during the early vedic age.

This is no chance that the term bodhi-sattva was present 'during the early
vedic age', as this is almost certainly a mistaken backformation from
Middle Indian bodhi-satta, in fact derived from bodhi-sakta. It is likely,
however, that terms such as arhat, jina, kevalin, etc. existed prior to the
formation of Budddhism or Jainism as we know them.

Lance Cousins

MANCHESTER, UK
Email: mhcrxlc at dir.mcc.ac.uk