"NEW DISCUSSION GROUP

gor05 gor05 at rz.uni-kiel.d400.de
Wed Oct 4 08:42:22 UTC 1995

As of today, October 4, 1995, there is a new discussion group by the name of
VYAKARAN, started by me, that it is open to all interested, free of charge.

The purpose of VYAKARAN is to further discussion between interested
scholars working on any aspect of South Asian linguistics, whether modern
or historical, syntax or sociolinguistics, Indo-Aryan or Dravidian (to
mention just two families), Panini or the Hindi-Urdu question. If you don't
find what you're looking for here, don't worry, as the list could go on and
on...

Right now, I'd just like to see how the list runs before investing time and
money in software, etc., so if you'd like to join, please be patient, as
I'm currently doing all the mail myself. If you're interested, just send a
short note to me at the following address:

                     vyakara at toppoint.de

with the subject: VYAKARAN, and I'll add your name to the list. Don't forget
to give your first and last name and of course your email address!

If you'd like to send a message to everyone on the list, just send your
message to the same address with a short description in the subject line
and I'll send it off to everyone within a day (I hope).

Right now, I don't have any intention of editing the list, just sending out
the mail. I'm assuming that everyone is familiar with 'NET-iquette',
but other than that, you decide what we talk about. It could be that we'll
have to end up restricting the subject matter a little, preferably to
historical linguistics, but right now anything having to do with South
Asian linguistics is welcome.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

John Peterson

Kiel, Germany