Re Ms. Doniger's translations

ACHARB at msuvx2.memphis.edu ACHARB at msuvx2.memphis.edu
Sun Nov 26 17:33:59 UTC 1995

>From:	IN%"indology at liverpool.ac.uk" 24-NOV-1995 08:17:38.29
>Subj:	RE: Re Ms. Doniger's translations.

>Lars Martin Fossee wrote

>I am afraid that the concept of gods and deities in Vedas is not quite as
>unique as it is assumed here. Most of the qualities cited are part and
>parcel of all ancient Indo-European mythologies. E.g. both ancient Greek
>and Nordic gods can change into any shape they want, and do so frequently.

I am sure there are differences with respect to applicability of "manushya
dharma" to gods.  Perhaps, somebody else can clarify.

>It seems hard to interpret Rudra's arrow against Prajapati as anything but
>a punishment for a real offense. I should think that the strictly symbolic
>interpretation of Vedic mythology suggested here is a rather modern way of
>thinking.

one aspect of Rudra is the personification of anger, hence "raudraavatara".
Daksha(prajapati) also means Ritual-skill.  The symbolic meaning here is that
rituals performed without observing proper protocol could lead to disastrous
reasults.   Since Yaska says that "manushya dharma" does not apply to gods,
when human like relationships are described, they can only be symbolic.   I see
nothing "modern" about it

>annoyance.. has also been expressed by e.g. Christian
>theologians, who had to see their most revered truths analysed in the same
>kind of scholarly language, not necessarily Freudian, but nevertheless

That is the whole point, freedom of speech not withstanding.

> Personally, I find many religions ideas offensive, but I don't
>complain about other people expressing them as long as I may express my own
>ideas. We simply have to live with the fact that people have a right to
>express their view, whether we feel hurt or not. People who feel secure
>about their beliefs usually can take quite a bit of criticism or irreverent
>language without getting too upset.

yes, if it were only that.  The academic criticisms would have been just like
"the dog barking at the full moon".  But, now misrepresentations such as those
of Ms. Doniger, in the hands of persons like Pat Robertson is propagated to
millions of believing people.   That is the cause of the hurt.

Best regards,-Narahari