2 inquiries

Allen Thrasher athr at loc.gov
Wed Nov 22 20:16:23 UTC 1995

interested in "descriptions" in the sense of those by an observer, they
may perhaps be found in the following books. I have not examined them
myself.  There are also a number of books which are "descriptions" of the
cult of Kali in the sense of manuals of her worship.

   AUTHOR: Harding, Elizabeth U., 1943-
    TITLE: Kali :
           the black goddess of Dakshineswar /
    PLACE: York Beach, Me. :
PUBLISHER: Nicolas-Hays,
     YEAR: 1993
 PUB TYPE: Book
   FORMAT: xxxiii, 318 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 21 cm.
    NOTES: Includes bibliographical references (p. [307]-309) and index.
     ISBN: 0892540257 (alk. paper) :
  SUBJECT: Dakshineswar Kali Temple.
           Kali (Hindu deity)
           Kali (Hindu deity) -- Cult -- India -- Dakshineswar.
           Dakshineswar (India) -- Religious life and customs.

   AUTHOR: Raya, Diptimaya.
    TITLE: Pascimabangera Kali o Kalikshetra /
    PLACE: Kalikata :
PUBLISHER: Mandala Buka Hausa,
     YEAR: 1984
 PUB TYPE: Book
   FORMAT: 10, 242, [2] p., [4] p. of plates : ill. ; 22 cm.
    NOTES: In Bengali.
           Bibliography: p. [243]-[244]
           Socioreligious study of Kali, Hindu goddess, in Bengal; includes
           notes on her various forms and pilgrimage centers dedicated to
           the deity.
  SUBJECT: Kali (Hindu deity) -- Cult -- India -- Bengal.
           Bengal (India) -- Religion.

   AUTHOR: Haladara, Prabhata.
    TITLE: Srisrikali o Kalikshetra /
    PLACE: Kalikata :
PUBLISHER: Karuna Prakasani,
     YEAR: 1986
 PUB TYPE: Book
   FORMAT: xvi, 133 p., [2] p. of plates : ill., geneal. tables ; 22 cm.
    NOTES: In Bengali.
           On the history and religious significance of Kalighata, locality
           in Calcutta, seat of the temple of Kali (Hindu deity)
  SUBJECT: Kali (Hindu deity) -- Cult -- India -- Calcutta.
           Hinduism -- India -- Calcutta.
           Kalighata (Calcutta, India) -- History.
           Calcutta (India) -- History.

   AUTHOR: Nayaka, Datta Damodara.
    TITLE: Kalighata te karunaghata /
    PLACE: Panaji :
PUBLISHER: Rajahasa Vitarana,
     YEAR: 1995
 PUB TYPE: Book
   FORMAT: 80 p. ; 23 cm.
    NOTES: Travel impressions of the author about his visit to various
           places.
     ISBN: 8185854157
  SUBJECT: Nayaka, Datta Damodara -- Journeys.

   AUTHOR: Basu Roy, Indrani.
    TITLE: Kalighat, its impact on socio-cultural life of Hindus /
    PLACE: New Delhi :
PUBLISHER: Gyan Pub. House,
     YEAR: 1993
 PUB TYPE: Book
   FORMAT: x, 157 p. : ill., maps ; 22 cm.
    NOTES: Includes bibliographical references (p. [137]-140) and index.
           On an area in Calcutta City, India.
     ISBN: 8121204011 :
  SUBJECT: Kalighat Kali Temple.
           Kalighata (Calcutta, India) -- Religious life and customs.

   AUTHOR: Cattopadhyaya, Suryyakumara.
    TITLE: Kalikshetra dipika /
    PLACE: Kalakata :
PUBLISHER: Pustaka Bipani,
     YEAR: 1986 1891
 PUB TYPE: Book
   FORMAT: 180 p., [3] leaves of plates : ill. (some col.), 1 folded map ;
           23 cm.
    NOTES: In Bengali.
           Originally published: Kalikata : Parthiba Yantrae, 1891.
           Includes bibliographical references.
           History and antiquities of the temple of Kali, Hindu deity, at
           Kalighat, Calcutta.
  SUBJECT: Kalighata (Temple : Calcutta, India) -- History.
    OTHER: Bhaumika, Haripada.

   AUTHOR: Bagchi, Subhendugopal.

Allen W. Thrasher

Senior Reference Librarian