development of Hindi/Urdu

Frances Pritchett fp7 at columbia.edu
Mon May 29 14:27:51 UTC 1995

On this topic a good general overview is C. Shackle and R. Snell,
*Hindi and Urdu Since 1800:  A Common Reader* (London:  SOAS, 1990).  It
has brief historical and linguistic accounts, followed by illustrative
examples (with notes and glossaries).

The vocabulary problem is also considerable:  Hindii, Hindavii, Rextah
are all old names that have at times been used for what we now would call
Urdu.  KhaRii bolii suggests the grammar, Hindustani a modern spoken form
of this grammar.  Sometimes "Bhaakhaa" and even "Braj Bhaakhaa" are used
very confusingly by early sources to refer not just to the modern Braj
but to, in effect, "the colloquial speech of North India."  Then of
course there is "Dakhini."  "Gujri" and other occasional terms occur as
well.  Then elements of this terminological mishmash are often used
selectively to make arguments that are naive or tendentious or both...

Even modern uses of the terms "Hindi" and "Urdu" are often somewhat
ambiguous:  do they refer only or chiefly to script differences, or do
they also invoke vocabulary choices--which are shifting and subjective in
extent and definition anyway?  In spoken language, is there any
conceptual room left for a "Hindustani" middle ground?  What do we call
the (spoken) language of the "Hindi film" industry?  So many "Hindi" film
songs have been written by popular Urdu poets...

On the literary-historical side even more than the linguistic, we need to
ask what a term like "Hindii" or "Bhaakhaa" in each particular instance
is actually referring to.  And of course sometimes it's almost
impossible to tell.  (So what else is new...?)

Wishing everyone a good summer,
Fran Pritchett