Hindi-Urdu Appointment at NCSU/UNC-CH

r.l.schmidt at easteur-orient.uio.no r.l.schmidt at easteur-orient.uio.no
Fri May 26 10:32:58 UTC 1995

Tony K. Stewart
Director, Triangle South Asia Consortium
Hindi-Urdu Languages and Literatures
Beginning 15 August 1995
Triangle South Asia Consortium
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8101

Dear Dr. Stewart:

This letter is written in support of the application of Tehsin Siddiqi for
the position as Professor of the Practice in Hindi-Urdu Languages.

I worked with Tehsin at the University of Wisconsin in 1984, writing a book
of exercises and drills to accompany G.C. Narang's Readings in Literary
Urdu Prose.  I found Tehsin to be very knowledgeable, hardworking, and
cooperative.  In addition, he possesses an excellent working control of the
principles of second-language pedagogy, and is fully competent in both
Hindi and Urdu.

I have kept in touch with Tehsin since then, and have on a number of
occasions met students of his, both from the University of Wisconsin and
the University of Michigan.  They invariably praised his skill as a
teacher, and their own Urdu language skills demonstrated that he is
effective as well as appreciated.

I highly recommend him for this position.

Sincerely,

Ruth Laila Schmidt
Senior Lecturer in Urdu

P.S.  A hard copy of this recommendation will be sent by post.

Ruth Schmidt
Dept. of East European and Oriental Studies
University of Oslo
P.O.B. 1030 Blindern
N-0315 OSLO, Norway
Phone:  47-22-85-55-86 (office)