uttara-mImAMsA???

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu May 11 13:55:23 UTC 1995

The terms 'puurva' and 'uttara' Miimaamsaa should also be compared with
the terms Hiinayaana and Mahaayaana.  Indeed, those who used the term
'puurva' miimaamsaa to refer to the 'other' system wanted to imply that
theirs was the 'uttara' or higher system.  No texts referred to
themselves as belonging to Hiinayaana or Shraavakayaana.  This is
probably also true of 'puurva' Miimaamsaa.
	Perhaps someone could elaborate on the earliest use of these terms.
		Madhav Deshpande