Sanskrit mangalas in Indonesian texts

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Fri May 5 14:38:37 UTC 1995

On 'Om namaH Siddham'.
	Last year I was editing a text in which this phrase occurs in the
beginning and I had some occasion to think over it.  The evidence
suggests that this may have originated in the Jain traditions of Western
India.  Then it was adopted by grammatical traditions like that of the
Kaatantra, which was widely studied by the Jains.  From the Jain
traditions, it was generalized to common Indian tradition, and Hinduized
at some point.  In Western India, many alphabets begin with a
vernacularized form of this phrase:  'onaamaasiidham'.  This was commonly
used in Maharashtra to begin formal teaching of writing to a boy.
Similarly it was generalized to mark all beginnings.  In Marathi, we
say:  He did the 'onaamaa' of something or the other.
	Madhav