VOI message

lbigelow at sas.upenn.edu lbigelow at sas.upenn.edu
Tue Mar 28 18:22:49 UTC 1995

I second Daud's statement.  Based on my reading of the foreword, I
agree that Elst's book carries a very strong political statement, as does
VOI's unfortunate choice of the Indology list as a potentially receptive
audience.  And while I am not one who feels that politics should
necessarily be kept out of a forum on pre-modern South Asia (is any
discussion apolitical, in any case?), I understand and defer to the
consensus of the list members who feel that political debate belongs
elsewhere.  That said, VOI and Dr. Elst should be made aware that this is
not the place for the promotion of any work whose purpose is the
advancement of a particular political agenda.

--Lyn E. Bigelow, University of Pennsylvania

According to Daud R. Ali: