Ananta

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Mar 20 19:31:31 UTC 1995

Thanks for the reference to Yoga-suutra II 47 which refers to Ananta.
Though it is doubtful that the word refers to the snake divinity in the
original suutra, one can see how a later commentator could take it as a
proper name referring to the snake divinity.  However, it is not clear
how even this reference could have led to the identification of Patanjali
as an incarnation of Shesha.
	Madhav Deshpande