Ananta

Enrica Garzilli garzilli at husc.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 20 15:07:15 UTC 1995

On Mon, 20 Mar 1995, L.S.Cousins wrote:

> Madhav Deshpande asks:
>
> Somewhat tentatively, could this be related to exegesis of Yoga-suutra II
> 47 ? If I remember correctly, some of the later writers understand this as
> referring to Ananta.
>
> Lance Cousins.
>
> MANCHESTER, UK
> Telephone (UK): 0161 434 3646

Even though is likely that Patanjali of the YS is not the Patanjali
of the Mahabhasya, (See e.g. A.B. Keith, Jacobi, onwards), the YS II, 47
explicitely mentions Ananta.
It was interpreted by Vacaspatimisra (IX cent. A.D.) as Vasuki, teh
mithological snake (brother of Sesa). (However Ananta is also the name of
Sesa himself, the snake-god) .
King Bhoja (IX cent.) read it as 'endeless', 'eternal'.
(In this case Patanjali's sutra would refer to a buddhist meditation: see
De La Vallee Poussin, "Le bouddhisme et le Yoga de Patanjali", in Melanges
chinois et bouddhiques, 1937, pp. 223-242).

Dott. Enrica Garzilli