"Rose Apple"

Aditya, The Hindu Skeptic a018967t at bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us
Fri Mar 17 05:00:53 UTC 1995

On Fri, 17 Mar 1995, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

> Okay: here's the lowdown on the Rose Apple, following some recent
> discussion with C Ramankutty at the Arya Vaidya Shala, Kottakal, and
> some poring over books in his reference library:
>

> English         Skt     Latin                   Hindi           Tamil/Malayalam
>
> 1/
> Rose apple      ?       Syzygium jambos, Linn.  Gulabjaman      Peru~naaval
>                         (Eugenia jambos)
Being a native speaker of Hindi, I have never heard the name Gulabjaman
refer to any fruit. It is rather a common north Indian sweet.

Further I understand India (Bharatkhand) is considered part of Jambudweep
therefore it has to be bigger than India. Could it be Asia? I have never
heard Indonesia being called Jambudweep.