Conference on Gender & Vedic Authority

South Asia Gopher magier at columbia.edu
Tue Mar 7 00:46:05 UTC 1995

This event announcement is being forwarded to your listserv by the
EVENTS CALENDAR section of The South Asia Gopher. I apologize if you
receive more than one copy of this mailing. If you have further
questions about this event, PLEASE CONTACT EVENT ORGANIZERS as listed.
Do not send questions to The South Asia Gopher or to me.    David Magier
                ---------------

WORKING GROUP ON GENDER AND VEDIC AUTHORITY
Second Annual Conference
Dharam Hinduja Indic Research Center
Columbia University, New York, NY

Thursday, April 27th
Laurie L. Patton, "Authorizing Gender and Gendering Authority: Issues in
the Study of Women in Vedic Tradition"  (Presented at the University
Seminar on the Veda and its Interpretation).

Friday, April 28th
(tentative topics)

Stephanie Jamison on Autonomy, Gift-Giving and Women's Religious Roles in
Ancient India

Ellison Findly on Women and the Practice of Giving: The House Mistress at
the Door as a Vedic and Buddhist Paradigm

Mary McGee on Ritual Rights: The Gender Implications of Adhikara in Hindu
Traditions

Laurie L. Patton on Mantras and Miscarriage: The Control of Birth in the
Late Vedic Period

Vasudha Narayanan on Gender in Tamil Commentary: The Tiruvaymoli as a
Case Study

Katherine Young on Can Women Recite Mantras? Tracing the Debate in the
Sri-Vaisnava Tradition

Nancy Falk on Women and Traditional Authority in 19th Century India

Ann Grodzins Gold on Gender and Vedic Authority in Village Rajasthan

FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:

Nancy Braxton
Columbia University
Dharam Hinduja Indic Research Center