Jamboo vs. jamoon

Alan Entwistle entwistl at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 7 01:24:00 UTC 1995

Dominik points to a confusion between two different fruits, a confusion
that is addressed in Hobson-Jobson s.v. jamboo (cf. jamoon), where it is
said that they are "very different fruits, though both classed by
Linnaeus under the genus Eugenia."
	I remember the jamoon as a tart fruit found on tall trees for a
short period in the rainy season; deep purple skin, flesh, and juice, in
size, shape, and texture somewhere between a plum and a large olive.
	Not having travelled much in India beyond the Hindi belt, I have
only come across what I understood to be a rose-apple (jamboo) in Bali: a
small fig/pear-shaped, guava-like fruit with a pink blush.
	Why have these two been confused, and for how long? (see CDIAL
s.v. jambu- and jambula-.