Ancient South Asian word for 'cereal'

kalyans at ix.netcom.com kalyans at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 20 21:11:24 UTC 1995

Further elucidations responding to Prof. Stampe's
observations on ru(ng) kug = rice:

Let me cite from Southworth:

"For the Munda languages, we are fortunate to have
two recent articles by Arlene and Norman Zide which
deal with reconstructions of cultural vocabulary,
including cereals. They courageously suggest a date
of 3500 BP as the date for proto-Munda, and claim
that the vocabulary of the speakers of proto-Munda
included terms for 'husked (and uncooked) rice'...
*ru-kug 'uncooked husked rice (cf. Korku rum 'to
husk')(Zide, 1973:7); *(h)oXy 'setaria italica' (a
milet) (Zide, 1973: 8-9); Koraput Munda *a-rig
'panicum miliare (cf. Kherwarian iRi)(Zide 1973:8-9);
[likely to be a borrowing from dravidian based on DED
445: irak 'food'] *guXm 'winnow' (up-and-down
motion)(Zide, ms.: 3)...."

Zide references cited are: Zide, A. and N. Zide, 1973
Semantic reconstructions in proto-Munda cultural
Vocabulary I. Indian Linguisics 34: 1-24; n.d.
Proto-Munda cultural vocablary: evidence for early
agriculture, Chicago, Univ. o Chicago, Munda
Languages Project, Unpublished manuscript [cited on
p.236 of Southworth's article referred to in my
earlier note].

I am not able to access many Dravidian forms readily;
but if my recollection serves me right, konku (Tamil)
also refers to a 'cereal' [cf. also konku-nATu].
Bengali (contiguous to Oriya) prefers the vowel sound
'o' to replace 'a'.

kaNku, konku are permissible phonetic variants in
South asian.

Is it erroneous to link phonetic forms such as -kug
and konku within a semantic cluster of contiguous
linguistic sub-areas?

Kalyanaraman.