Temple Destruction in Tamil Nadu [was Re: Temple Destruction in

Gary M Tartakov tart at iastate.edu
Thu Jun 15 20:00:43 UTC 1995

I want to second S. VidyasankarUs post, in response to the list of what
have been labeled destroyed temples in Tamilnadu.

At best this looks like a very uncritical list and seems more likely to
be something with little or no archaeological or textual basis at all.

Iconoclasm is a very complex subject as well as a socially and
politically volatile one.  In Karnataka where I have worked among the
cases of documented iconoclasm are examples, for instance, of
communities who have changed their allegiance.  Thus not an outside
incursion, but an internal expression is marked.

We should be very careful in developing this important topic.  It is not
only volatile.  It is much more difficult than may at first appear.

Gary Michael Tartakov