Sorting sanskrit words in roman transliteration

Gerard Huet Gerard.Huet at inria.fr
Tue Jul 25 11:08:29 UTC 1995

With regards to David Dargie's message:

The proposed scheme, of encoding each transliteration code into a unique
ASCII character in the alphabetical order, will work only if the anusvAra
is used solely its its "original" role. When the anusvAra is used as a
substitute for a nasal, the alphabetical order of this nasal ought to be used,
and this information is context-sensitive. A similar difficulty occurs with
the visarga, which ought to be sorted as the corresponding sibilant when
it denotes a sibilant attenuation.

I would thus recommend that roman transliterations use the anusvAra and the
visarga ONLY when they are original, in which case they have their own
alphabetical order, between the diphtongs and the consonants. If their
non-original use is required, this may be effected by a further processing
pass on the text, by a set of pattern-matching rules looking at some
context (typically a vowel followed by a nasal followed by a consonant).

Another care must be taken when the roman transliteration scheme uses a
notation for the accent, or a notation for the origin of a long vowel
in a compound word, like in Monier-Williams: such notation ought to be erased
from the source text before the sorting operation.

It would be nice if indology scholars would agree on a standard non-ambiguous
one-to-one encoding of devanagari into ASCII characters, from which all usual
transliteration schemes could be easily macro-generated in linear time by
finite automata transducers available in most computer systems or text editors.

Gerard Huet