Fonts and IASS CS codes

John Dunne jdunne at husc.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 14 14:56:35 UTC 1995

As is perhaps the case with many of you, my initial choice of a
transliteration scheme is quite haphazard.  Currently, I use
Linguist's Software's `TransRoman' TT fonts, which are designed to
transliterate a number of languages. I have found that the only practical
way to use these fonts is to write macros in Word6 (windows version) that
use keystrokes such as Ctrl-A to switch from Times New Roman to
TransRoman, type the desired symbol, and then switch back to Times New
Roman. This only works because the typefaces of the two fonts are
indistinguishable when single letters are being inserted.

The major problem with my system is that it is not easily transferred to
other systems. Hence, I am now seeking fonts that follow the
International Association of Sanskrit Studies conventions for the
computer-transliteration of Classical Sanskrit (IASS CS).  This standard
assigns particular ASCII codes to the characters necessary for the
transliteration of Sanskrit.

Although I have probably missed some recent messages that discuss fonts
for transliteration, I have not noticed much reference to the IASS CS
standard. If I have missed a font package that does follow this standard,
or if anyone knows of such a font package, I would greatly appreciate
further information.

I should add that the only such package that I have encountered is
inadequate because the screen-fonts are difficult to read.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

John Dunne
Study of Religion
Harvard University