learning Hindi in India

Frances Pritchett fp7 at columbia.edu
Thu Jul 13 18:15:33 UTC 1995

On Thu, 13 Jul 1995, Marzena Magnuszewska wrote:

> I'm going to spend a few months in India ( most probably winter time,
> but I am free up to the end of August 1996). Could anyone provide me
> with any details about a good place or a person that can help me
> improve my spoken Hindi and not ruin my pocket. I will have plenty of
> time, a limited sum of money, a recommendation letter from the Indian
> ambassador in Poland and strong will to become a good Hindi teacher.
>  ( The only place I know about is Kendriy Hindi Samsthan in Agra, but I don't want to go there.)
>
> Marzena Magnuszewska
> Institute of Oriental Philology
> Jagellonian University
> al.Mickiewicza 9/11
> 31-120 Cracow, Poland
> e-mail: mmagnusz at vela.filg.uj.edu.pl

I take this opportunity to forward to everybody the list of language
study programs that we maintain for the South Asian Gopher.  The Landour
Language School might be a good one for Dr. Magnuszewska to consider.

Regards,
Fran Pritchett

       = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
       I N V E N T O R Y   O F
       L A N G U A G E
       M A T E R I A L S
       = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
       An electronic publication project
       General editor:  Frances Pritchett <fp7 at columbia.edu>
       Publishing supervisor:  David Magier
       Hard copy publisher:  Southern Asian Institute,
              Columbia University
       Year of publication:  annual, with frequent updates
       May be copied or distributed without permission.
       Comments and suggestions welcomed by the editor.

       = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
       S O U T H   A S I A N   L A N G U A G E
       P R O G R A M S

       Editor for Language Programs:  Frances Pritchett,
              Columbia University <fp7 at columbia.edu>
       For general information about ILM, see:
              INTRODUCTION TO ILM

       --Last updated:  April 1995--

       NOTE:  Quotation marks identify material taken word-for-word
       from information supplied by the program itself.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF INDIAN STUDIES
Foster Hall, 1130 East 59th Street, Chicago, IL 60637
Phone:  312-702-8638

*Languages:  HINDI with optional URDU in Varanasi, BENGALI in
       Calcutta, TAMIL in Madurai, sometimes other languages "such as
       TELUGU" on a tutorial basis, "as circumstances allow."
*Duration:  Summer Program:  ten weeks.  Academic-year Program:  one
       nine-month American academic year.
*Eligibility:  Applicants must be American citizens or permanent
       residents and "must be committed to a teaching career."
       Graduate students are preferred, but unusually qualified
       undergraduates may also be considered.  For the academic-year
       program, all applicants must have at least two years or 240
       hours of classroom language study before going on the program.
       For the summer program, applicants in Tamil or Bengali need
       offer only one year of prior study.  F.L.A.S. fellowships from
       applicants' home institutions may be used, or applicants may
       apply for AIIS fellowships.
*Applications due:  December 31st for both programs.

       "The program will be administered in India by AIIS staff.  This
is an intensive language program which provides four hours of
classroom instruction five days a week.  Classes are small and
individual tutorials are provided.  There will be regular assignments
outside of class, and participants must take part in all program
events, such as attending films, plays, and other cultural activities.
This is not a research program; participants are expected to devote
all their energies to activities which will increase their competence
in all areas of language skills--speaking, listening, reading, and
writing."

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
ASSOCIATED COLLEGES OF THE MIDWEST INDIA STUDIES PROGRAM
205 W. Wacker Drive, Suite 1300, Chicago, IL 60606
Phone:  312-263-5000

*Languages:  MARATHI, intensively studied for six months.  "Students
       will enroll in the Certificate Course in Marathi Language at
       Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth, a university in Pune."
*Duration:  Ten or eleven months.  First, an orientation program: late
       February to late May, at Macalester College, at which at least
       a C-grade or its equivalent in all courses must be achieved.
       Second: late May to early December, six months in Pune,
       Maharashtra, living with a family and doing language study,
       course work, and an independent project.
*Eligibility:  "any currently enrolled student may apply, though
       priority is given to those who will be sophomores or juniors
       during the orientation term."  Students from non-ACM colleges
       may also apply.
*Applications due:  for early admission: April 1st; for admission:
       November 1st.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
BERKELEY URDU LANGUAGE PROGRAM IN PAKISTAN
Center for South Asia Studies, 201 Moses Hall,
Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
Phone:  510-642-3608
Fax:  510-643-5793
Email:  <csas at uclink.berkeley.edu>

*Languages:  URDU.
*Duration:  30 weeks of intensive language instruction in three ten-
       week terms, with winter and spring breaks, from October through
       June.  Applicants may apply for only one of the three terms,
       though this is not preferred.  Instruction is provided by
       tutors arranged by the program.
*Eligibility:  US citizens or permanent residents may apply.
       Applicants must have completed two years of Urdu/Hindi and have
       a good knowledge of Urdu script.  Field research by
       participants is not permitted. FLAS fellowships may sometimes
       be used to pay for the program.
*Applications due:  March 1st.

       A small program, flexibility, some travel within Pakistan.  The
chance to live with a family in Lahore while studying is an especially
valuable part of the experience.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
BHARATIYA VIDYA BHAVAN, USA
305 Seventh Avenue, 17th floor, New York, NY 10001
Phone:  212-989-8383
Fax:  212-989-6482

*Languages:  HINDI is offered at several levels.  "Urdu, Tamil,
       Gujarati and other Indian language courses" will be offered if
       at least 5 students enroll.  Courses meet once a week, either
       on a weekday evening or on a weekend.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
BUDDHIST STUDIES: ANTIOCH EDUCATION ABROAD
Antioch College, Yellow Springs, OH 45387
Phone: 513-767-6366; toll free: 800-874-7986

*Languages:  Introductory HINDI and TIBETAN are available.
*Duration:  September-December.
*Eligibility:  undergraduates in good standing at any college may
       apply, as may non-credit students with a serious commitment to
       learning.
*Applications due:  March 15th.

       In Bodhgaya, Bihar, "a program of study and meditation near the
site of Buddha Shakyamuni's Enlightenment."  Instruction by Antioch
faculty with guest lectures from local professors; courses and field
research are offered for 12-16 semester hours of college credit.
Basic Buddhist meditation techniques are also taught.
A good beginning can be made in language study, but the brief time of
the program means that only a certain amount can be achieved.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
CENTRAL INSTITUTE OF HINDI, New Delhi
Embassy of India, Education Wing, 2107 Massachusetts Ave., NW,
Washington DC 20008
Phone:  202-939-7055

       Sometimes a few scholarships available for Indian-academic-year
HINDI language study.
       The scholarships are modest, but then so are the costs
involved.  The real price is having to deal with the Indian
bureaucracy.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
CORNELL-NEPAL STUDY PROGRAM
Cornell Abroad, 474 Uris Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Phone:  607-255-6224
Fax:  607-255-8700
Email:  <cuabroad at cornell.edu>

*Languages:  Intensive elementary NEPALI.
*Duration:  Fall semester (Sept.-Dec.), spring semester (Jan.-May);
       includes two-week study tour and up to six weeks of independent
       field study
*Eligibility:  Undergraduates and graduate students; Cornell credits
       may be earned; most forms of funding, including FLAS, may be
       used.
*Applications due:

       This new joint venture with Tribhuvan National University of
Nepal (at Kirtipur, in the Kathmandu valley) places participants in
simple but adequate student housing with Nepali roommates also
enrolled in the program, and encourages study of Nepali language and a
theme ("either the cultural diversity or the ecological diversity of
Nepal").

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
CORNELL UNIVERSITY, South Asia Program
170 Uris Hall, Cornell Univ., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601
Phone:  607-255-8493

*Languages:  Intensive elementary and intermediate NEPALI.
*Duration:  June 12-August 4, 1995.
*Eligibility:  Anyone may apply.  Fellowships are open to U.S.
       citizens and permanent residents who are graduate students at
       Cornell or other institutions; some tuition waivers may also be
       available.
*Applications due:

       Classes from 8:00 to 4:00, five days a week, earn 10 Cornell
credits; classroom, tutorial, and language lab work.  Classes "include
both conversational and written Nepali with special emphasis upon
developing the language skills necessary for study or research in
Nepal."  Other related cultural activities also available.
Instruction by Shambhu Oja, supervision by Kathryn March.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
DAVIDSON COLLEGE FALL SEMESTER-IN-INDIA PROGRAM
Office for Study Abroad, P.O. Box 1719,
Davidson College, Davidson, NC 28036
Phone:  704-892-2250

*Languages:  Some basic TAMIL, other lectures especially on South
       India, much group travel.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
DUKE IN INDIA
Office of Foreign Academic Programs, 121 Allen Building,
Box 90057, Duke Univ., Durham, NC 27708-0057
Phone:  919-684-2174
Fax:  919-684-3083
Email:  Prof. Satti Khanna <skhanna at acpub.duke.edu>, or phone him
       directly at 919-286-4771

*Languages:  All courses are taught in English, but "special
       arrangements can be made to accomodate those trying to learn
       and speak an Indian language."
*Duration:  From the last week in May through the first week in July.
*Eligibility:  Duke undergraduates, other undergraduates too; no
       financial aid available.
*Applications due:  February 11th; late applications may sometimes be
       considered.

       "A six-week, two-course summer study abroad program in Bombay
with side trips to Delhi and Agra, focusing on Indian history and the
influence of modern media on contemporary Indian life."

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
HARVARD SUMMER SANSKRIT PROGRAM
Prof. Michael Witzel
Chair, Sanskrit Department
Harvard University
Cambridge, MA  02138
Phone:  617-495-3295
Fax:  617-496-8571
Email:  <witzel at husc3.harvard.edu>

*Language:  SANSKRIT.
*Duration:  Roughly, June 26-Aug. 18; meets Monday-Thursday 3:30-6:00.
       Planned for summer 1995.
*Eligibility:  Those who pay about $2500 for 8 units of credit ("some
       assistance available for high school students only").

        "Stresses learning the Devanagari script, basic grammar, and
essential vocabulary.  Emphasis is given to correct translation of
passages from simple narrative literature and the epics.  If desired,
on-campus housing is available for about $2100."

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
KERALA SUMMER PERFORMING ARTS PROGRAM
Office of International Studies and Programs
261 Bascom Hall, 500 Lincoln Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Phone:  608-262-2851
Fax:  608-262-6998
Email:  <abroad at macc.wisc.edu>

*Language:  MALAYALAM introduced.
*Duration:  Early June to mid-August.
*Eligibility:  Juniors and above, graduate students, recent graduates;
       Madison course credits and grades are earned.
*Applications due:  Second Friday in February; after that, accepted on
       a space-available basis.

        "The UW-Madison sponsors this program, which is affiliated
with the University of Karala in Thiruvananthapuram, India.  This ten-
week intensive summer program is designed for students or
professionals in the performing arts, for for students from other
disciplines interested in Kerala's culture and performing arts.  The
program will immerse you in the performing, martial, and/or
meditational arts of your choice, and introduce you to the study of
Kerala's culture and language (Malayalam)."

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
LANDOUR AND DEHRA DUN LANGUAGE SCHOOLS
Landour Language School (summer program),
Landour, Mussoorie, U.P. 248 179;
Dehra Dun Language School (winter program),
51-C Rajpur Road, Dehra Dun, U.P. 248 001

*Languages:  Intensive oral tutorial work in HINDI, emphasizing
       conversation; URDU, PUNJABI, NEPALI, BENGALI can be arranged.

       Very favorable reports from students, including those who have
gone to India on short notice and have sought to arrange their own
programs of study.  An exceptionally good program for developing
conversational fluency.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
MCGILL UNIVERSITY
Centre for Continuing Education, McGill University,
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Phone:  514-398-6160

*Language:  Two semesters of intensive elementary HINDI.
*Duration:  May 2-June 15, June 27-Aug. 9, 1994.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
NAROPA INSTITUTE--Annual Tibetan Language Seminar
2130 Arapahoe Ave., Boulder, CO 80302
Phone:  303-444-0202

*Language:  TIBETAN; both classical and colloquial forms of the
       language are taught.
*Duration:  "Two weeks of total immersion," June 20-July 2, 1994.
*Eligibility:  "A minimal knowledge of the Tibetan alphabet and basic
       grammatical elements is a prerequisite.  If you don't have this
       background yet, you may still have time to qualify by
       completing the first two lessons of the Tibetan Language
       Correspondence Course and by receiving permission from the
       director."

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY--Summer Language Institute
Arts and Science Summer Programs, 285 Mercer Street, 2nd floor
New York, NY 10003-6607
Phone:  1-800-771-4698 x963
Email:  <language at nyu.edu>

*Language:  Elementary HINDI/URDU.
*Duration:  Session I:  May 22-June 30, 1995; Session II:  July 5-
       August 15, 1995.
*Eligibility:  Undergrad, grad, postgrad students, possibly others
       (?).
*Comment:  "Our small classes offer personalized instruction with
       distinguished NYU faculty and language instructors....Take
       advantage of the free events at NYU's language houses this
       summer.  Live in Greenwich Village.  NYU summer housing rates
       are as low as $100 per six-week session."
              The instructor for summer 1995 will be Dr. Susham Bedi,
       who during the acadenic year teaches Hindi/Urdu at Columbia
       University.  She is an experienced and ACTFL-trained teacher,
       and also a well-known Hindi writer.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
SCHOOL FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAINING
The Experiment in International Living,
Kipling Road, Brattleboro, VT 05301-0676
Phone:  800-451-4465

*Language:  A college-level semester of basic HINDI, lectures, travel,
       a research project.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
SUMMER CENTRE FOR INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGES
Luther College, University of Regina,
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada S4S 0A2
Phone:  306-585-5300

*Language:  Offers six-week intensive elementary HINDI courses,
       emphasizing oral skills.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT BERKELEY
Berkeley Summer Program
Dept. of South and Southeast Asian Studies,
1203 Dwinelle, Univ. of Cal., Berkeley, CA 94720
Phone:  415-642-4564

*Language:  intensive elementary HINDI-URDU, elementary PUNJABI
       (summer 1995).
*Duration:  June 5-August 11, 1995.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN AT ANN ARBOR
South Asia Summer Language Program
130 Lane Hall, University of Michigan
204 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1290
Phone:  313-764-0352
Fax:  313-936-2948
Email:  <csseas at umich.edu>
Lee Schlesinger, Program Officer, South and Southeast Asian Studies
Email:  <schlesin at umich.edu>
Phone:  313-747-2082

*Languages:  Elementary HINDI/URDU, Intermediate MARATHI (summer
       1995); GUJARATI, HINDI/URDI, MARATHI, PUNJABI, SANSKRIT, TAMIL
       are planned for summer 1996.
*Duration:  June 28-August 18, 1995.
*Eligibility:  Undergraduate and graduate students, maybe others too?
       "The net tuition cost for a course (after the award of a
       partial scholarship) for non-Michigan residents and graduate
       students should be between $1700 and $2000; the cost will be
       less for undergraduate students who are residents of the state
       of Michigan."
*Applications due:  Forms now available, please inquire.

       "The particular languages that will be offered as well as the
levels of instruction provided in each language will depend on
adequate enrollment.  Sanskrit will be offered only at the beginning
level.  Each course offered will be the equivalent of one year of
college-level instruction and will carry 6 or 8 hours of University of
Michigan credit.  Students will be responsible for their own room and
board, although both University and off-campus housing are readily
available during the Summer Term."

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA AT PHILADELPHIA
Penn-In-India Program
South Asia Regional Studies, 820 Williams Hall,
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6305
Phone:  215-898-7475
Fax:  215-573-2138
Email:  <sgambhir at sas.upenn.edu>

*Languages:  "The program will seek to arrange for instruction in any
       major Indian language that students are interested in."
*Duration:  From the last week in May to the end of the first week in
       July.
*Eligibility:  "The program is open to all undergraduates enrolled in
       any educational institution."
*Applications due:  March 1st.

       The program is based in Pune, near Bombay, with classes at the
University of Poona campus.  "Students will choose two courses and
will have the added option of studying an Indian language.  Courses
will earn Penn credits and will be taught by Indian and American
faculty."  Students will also participate in a community project and
can seek internships with affiliated local museums, industries, or
hospitals.  Students will be housed with families in the area.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN--Austin Summer Program
The Center for Asian Studies, Mail Code 59300,
Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712
Phone:  512-471-5811
Fax:  512-471-4469

*Languages:  Elementary HINDI, intensive MALAYALAM at all levels
       (summer 1995).
*Duration: June 2-Aug. 13 (summer 1994)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA SEMESTER-IN-INDIA PROGRAM
Center for South Asian Studies
110 Minor Hall, Univ. of Virginia,
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Phone:  804-924-8815
David G. White, Director
Email:  <dgw6b at uva.pcmail.Virginia.edu>

*Languages:  intensive elementary HINDI.
*Duration:  August through December, 1995, in Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
*Eligibility:  Juniors and seniors currently enrolled in American
       universities.  Fifteen students will be admitted, with a total
       payment due per student of $3,500.  A total of 15 credits may
       be earned.
*Applications due:  May 1, 1995.

       "Students will receive 8-10 hours per week of Hindi-language
instruction, and 3 hours per week of instruction in Rajasthani culture
and civilization.  Courses will be taught by Indian faculty and staff,
and possibly at the University of Jodhpur.  In addition, students will
carry out independent research projects on topics of their choice."
Housing will be in a part of the Fort of Jodhpur equipped with
electricity, plumbing, and breathtaking views.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON SUMMER QUARTER
Information:  Prof. Michael C. Shapiro,
Dept. of Asian Languages and Literature,
Gowen Hall, DO-21, Seattle, WA 98195
       Phone:  206-543-4996
Email:  <hindimcs at u.washington.edu>

Applications:  Univ. of Washington, Summer Quarter, GH-26, Seattle, WA
       98195; phone: 1-800-543-2320.

*Languages:  Intensive intermediate HINDI, intensive elementary
       BENGALI (summer 1995).
*Duration:  June 19-August 18, 1995.
*Eligibility:  For Hindi, students who have completed a year of study
       and know the Devanagari script.
*Applications due:  FLAS fellowship applications due February 1, 1994.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN AT MADISON
College Year Programs in South Asia
International Studies and Programs,
Univ. of Wisconsin, 261 Bascom Hall,
500 Lincoln Drive, Madison, WI 53706
Phone:  608-262-2851

*Languages:  HINDI-URDU, TAMIL, TELUGU, MALAYALAM, NEPALI, and
       TIBETAN.
*Duration:  10 weeks of summer school in Madison for language study
       and orientation (Malayalam students will be at Austin instead),
       followed by one academic year in South Asia:  Banaras Hindu
       University in Banaras for Hindi-Urdu; Madurai Kamaraj
       University in Madurai for Tamil; Hyderabad University in
       Hyderabad for Telugu; Kerala University, in Thiruvananthapuram,
       Kerala, for Malayalam; Tribhuvan University in Kathmandu for
       Nepali and Tibetan.
*Eligibility:  College juniors, seniors, and recent graduates who have
       not yet enrolled in a graduate program.
*Applications due:  January 13th, 1995, with February 10 as the
       deadline for financial aid applications.  "Applications are
       accepted after this date on a space available basis."
       Estimated cost for 1994-95:  $10,500 for India and $11,500 for
       Nepal.

"Living accommodations range from dormitories and apartments to a
variety of family situations....In Nepal, homestay with a family--in
either a city or a small, rural village--is a part of each student's
experience."
       The program has been operating since 1961 and has included
Nepal since 1980.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN AT MADISON Summer Program
Center for South Asia Studies,
University of Wisconsin at Madison,1242 Van Hise Hall,
1220 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706
Phone:  608-262-3012

*Languages:  intensive elementary and intermediate HINDI-URDU,
       elementary NEPALI, elementary TAMIL, elementary TELUGU,
       elementary modern TIBETAN (summer 1995).
*Duration:  June 12-August 18, 1995.