gabbhaparihaara

James McDermott MCDERMOT at wehle.canisius.edu
Thu Jul 6 12:06:40 UTC 1995

Can anyone provide assistance with the Pali term "gabbhaparihaara"
(lit. "he protection of the embryo")? PED defines it as "a ceremony
performed when a woman became pregnant." Other translators, sticking
more closely to the literal meaning, use it in a more general sense
to refer to what we today might call pre-natal care. PED further
equates the term with "gabbhapariharana", which at Vism 500 in fact
seems to me closer in meaning to "gestation". My question is whether
there is in fact a formal gabbhaparihaara ceremony? If so, what is
the Hindu/Sanskrit equivalent? Any additional references to such a
ritual would be appreciated. [Note: I don't have access to
Trenckner's Critical Pali Dictionary.]