SALA XVII Conference & CFP

David Magier magier at columbia.edu
Thu Jan 19 18:04:02 UTC 1995

This event announcement is being forwarded to your list from The South
Asia Gopher Events Calendar. We apologize for any crossposting. If you
have any questions about the event listed, please contact event
organizers directly. I have no information on this event, beyond what
is posted here from the Calendar. Thank you.
David Magier
magier at columbia.edu

SALA XVII: The Seventeenth South Asian Languages Analysis Roundatable

"Verbal Constructions in South Asian Langauges"

2-4 June, 1995
The University of Texas at Austin

CALL FOR PAPERS:

Proposals for papers are invited on any topic related to subordination
and clause connection, including:

* The morphology/syntax interface
* Case frames
* Phonological processes
* Role in discourse structure
* Discourse structure

In addition, proposals for panels and papers will be accepted in other
areas of Language and Linguistics, including syntax, semantics,
phonology, teaching South Asian languages, language acquisition,
sociolinguistics, translation theory, poetic theory, and diachronic
linguistics.

Keynote Speaker: Edgar C. Polome'
This year's SALA meeting will be held in honor of Edgar Polome, who has
for a half-century contributed to teaching and scholarship in Sanskrit,
Indo-European and South Asian Linguistics.

Proposed Panels:
* Meeting of South Asian Language Teachers (SALTA)
* Teaching of First-year Sanskrit (Patrick Olivelle, jpo at uts.cc.utexas.edu)

Abstracts will be considered for acceptance immediately. Abstracts (one
page plus data and references) and panel proposals (including one-page
abstracts for each paper and a cover letter) should be sent to the
Organizing Committee:

   Rodney Moag (moag.rod at utxvm.bitnet)
        and
   Herman van Olphen (lyhhv at utxdp.dp.utexas.edu)

Organizing Committee, SALA XVII
Department of Asian Studies
WCH 4.134, G9300
University of Texas
Austin, Texas  78712,  USA

512-471-5811
512-471-4469 fax

FINAL DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS IS MARCH 15, 1995.