bhusundi

John Brockington SKTJLBS at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk
Thu Jan 19 11:25:55 UTC 1995

Dominik Wujastyk's measured and helpful review of the Indology network recently
contained a passing reference to some information posted on the network a couple of
months or so ago, which I did not take up at the time.   However, perhaps I may be
permitted to do so now.

This was about the non-occurrence of the word bhu'su.n.dii in the Raamaaya.na.   This
is strictly correct in regard to the text of the Critical Edition, but there is more
to be said, as I first pointed out in a footnote on p.148 of my Righteous Raama
(O.U.P., Delhi, 1985), to which I would refer anyone interested for further
information, including an etymology proposed by Professor Burrow.

For the record, the word does in fact occur as a variant reading at 6.28.11c and
48.32c (the latter a verse in longer metre), as well as in several * or App.I
passages:  3.384*5, 6.1146*1 (ifc), 1336*1 (iic), 1833*5, 3046*32, 7 App.1.194.
More importantly, a variant form, musu.n.dii does occur in the CE text at 6.48.32c
(iic) -- this verse again is in longer metre.   Thus the picture is of a typical
Mahaabhaarata term entering the Raamaaya.na vocabulary in its later stages.

Yours sincerely

John Brockington