K.L. Janert

rwl at uts.cc.utexas.edu rwl at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 13 15:45:31 UTC 1995

I recently received the following unfortunate news from Mrs. Ilse Janert,
Hauptstrasse 54, Hattgenstein, D-55767, Germany:

        "It is with great sorrow that I have to inform you of the death,
after a short illness, on December 10, 1994 of my husband, Professor Dr.
Klaus Ludwig Janert.
        "Professor Janert, who retired recently from the chair of Indian
Studies at the University of Cologne, Germany, devoted his life to many
aspects of ancient and modern India, ranging from Vedic studies, the
inscriptions of Asoka and Tamil lexiocography to bibliography and the
neglected subject of manuscript transmission, which he documented in a
series of catalogues written by himself or with his collaboration.
Although he drew his abiding inspiration from Indian culture, he was also a
pioneer in the study of the Nakhi language of western China."

Richard Lariviere