Tamil dictionary dispute

Dr. Dominik Wujastyk dom at uclblr.iisc.ernet.in
Wed Jan 11 22:39:07 UTC 1995

Dear Dr Malten,

I have today had your INDOLOGY email message of 23 Dec FAXed to me by a
friend; I didn't receive it earlier, since it was amongst some messages
which were lost in a system crash here in Bangalore.

I'm very sorry that you have been waiting for something from me about
the three postings of July 7th 1994.  Since I have no part in the
dispute about the dictionary, nor any real knowledge about the details,
I'm afraid have nothing more to offer.

Ramakrishnan of MOZHI in Madras, whom I know, and who brought the Madras
High Court case against the Institute of Indology and  Tamil Studies,
does not have access to email.  When he sent me the newspaper clipping
and the two letters about the case, we discussed the matter of
publicizing the issue and he agreed with me that INDOLOGY would be a
suitable forum for making the existence of the court injunction
generally known.  This seems fair, since you announced the online
dictionary through INDOLOGY in the first place.

I thought INDOLOGY members who do not get the Indian Express as a matter
of course would be interested in the case: it was, after all, front page
news.

So I sent out a transcription of the article from the Indian Express,
and copies of two letters from Ramakrishnan elaborating on the matter.

If Ramakrishnan had had access to email, he would have been able to do
this himself.

Obviously the Madras case makes a serious allegation, and I would very
much like to hear your side of the dispute.

Dominik

----
Dr Dominik Wujastyk
email: d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk