Semantic clustering technique in South Asian dictiona

s. kalyanaraman s._kalyanaraman at mail.asiandevbank.org
Tue Feb 28 07:52:42 UTC 1995

     Mr. Lance Cousins; I agree with you that where historical records are
     available, definite reliance can be placed on 'dating' a morpheme. In
     languages of South Asia (with a scanty recorded historical tradition
     -- whatever leads exist almost verge on mythological), an alternative
     could be the basic principle found in ALL writing systems (including
     Chinese): 'imaging' the sounds. [Chinese is a direct representation of
     the sound and its meaning; Egyptian hieroglyphics and other writing
     systems represent the 'image' of a homonymous sound.] The problem of
     'history of a spoken word' becomes extremely complex for many
     languages which did without a distinctive script, e.g. Tulu and many
     Austro-Asiatic tongues. In such cases, corroborative evidence of
     archaeology may help? S. Kalyanaraman Madras Tel. 91-44-493-6288