pra mit ? - an inquiry

Richard Salomon rsalomon at u.washington.edu
Fri Feb 17 19:07:55 UTC 1995

Dear Pramit,

This is an interesting question; not exactly the sort of thing this list
was meant for, but welcome nonetheless, and more interesting
than a lot of what has been coming over lately.

Anway: Pramit (as noted by a previous respondent) is no doubt the same as
Sanskrit pramita, which means, literally, 'measured', from the root maa
'measure' and the common prefix pra-, which in this case does not substantially
change the meaning of the root (traditional commentators would probably
gloss it as meaning 'prakar.se.na', 'especially,' by way of a vague
'emphasis').  The name probably does not, however, have anything to do
with Sanskrit mitra, 'friend,' as has been suggested.

The term pramita has a distinctly favorable connotation of
'(correctly/precisely/carefully) measured out'; compare the related noun
pramaa.na, '(true) measure; (reliable/authoritative) source of knowledge;
authority'.  Moreover, it
seems to be especially appropriate to your last name, if, as I suspect, it
corresponds to Sanskrit bhaa.sin, 'speaker'.  I am not familiar with this
family name, but this would seem to me to be a possible etymology.  And
if so, your whole name would mean "Measured Speaker," implying something
like "One who speaks limited words," i.e. who speaks only when he has
something to say (and vice versa).

By the way, I wonder if you ever tried asking the
Americans who ask you what your name means, what their own names mean?  I
doubt that many if any of them would know.  English, and especially
American names are generally much more difficult to understand
etymologically than Indian ones, due to linguistic changes, diverse
sources, etc.  Most people don't even bother thinking about these things
until they meet some foreigner with an exotic-sounding name.

-Richard Salomon (a.k.a. Rule-hard Peacemaker)
University of Washington

-